Problem: The humanity loses further development of knowledge as most scientists and intellectuals retire while they are still capable and willing to contribute to the development of knowledge and teaching it.
Solution: Establish the Institute for Retired Scientists (IRS)
FOR RETIRED SCIENTISTS
Here is an introductory idea about the creation of the Institute for Retired Scientists (IRS). I would like to request you to "brainstorm" it with your comments, criticism and suggestions in order to make it a realizable proposal for the world community.
There are many people worldwide, in all fields of knowledge, who retire every year and become inactive beyond their choice. The great knowledge and more importantly the experiences that they have accumulated over many years which may be considered a non replaceable treasure become lost. These people still have a lot to contribute to the well being of humanity. While the humanity loses their contributions, they feel unhappy entering a life style where they find themselves at best less useful. Humanity let go to waste billions of dollars spent to prepare these people making them the instruments of production of knowledge. The IRS has the objective to remedy this situation.
The proposal is to establish the Institute for Retired Scientists (IRS) where the retired scientists and intellectuals in all fields of knowledge from around the world can come into it to do essentially whatever they would like to do. They will be provided the infrastructures and opportunity to discuss with other co-workers their "wild" ideas, do research on personal project, on the subjects that did not fit to their institutional objectives, write books and articles, teach, and essentially do whatever they wanted to do during their regular work but did not have the chance to do it. The students and the seekers of knowledge will also come to IRS to learn and at the same time become research assistance.
What will be provided:
- The scientists will be provided office space, secretarial services, and basic infrastructures for his research work.
- The scientists will be provided with simple but adequate housing for them and their partners, food, medical assistance, ticket and pocket money. They have their retirement pension and normally most of them do not need any assistance. The assistance will depend on the amount of the pension that they receive.
- Scientist can stay as long a time as he wishes, from a few months per year to a permanent stay.
About the place:
- To choose a beautiful place in a country with mild climate condition away from the centres of population.
- To construct housing, office space , seminar rooms, anfiteatre, restaurants, medical centre, library, computer facilities, etc.
Advantages for the host country:
- The developing countries with a vision of future expected to compete to seat IRS as it will bring prestige and wealth to the host country.
- The host country will benefit from bringing in a great bank of knowledge and help educate its people at a minimum of cost.
- It will bring material wealth to the host country as many will travel to IRS to seek knowledge (scientific tourists).
- IRS will be the melting pot of all the scientists and intellectuals of the world. The interaction between these highly capable people will lead to new and important knowledge.
- Around IRS will grow a scientific community with many students from all over the world who will come to learn. It will become a centre of learning.
The financial support of IRS will be achieved by:
- Many international scientific and organizations and individuals are expected to donate to this project. For many authorities in power will be motivated by the idea of building up a place for their own future!
- Many of the retired scientists seeing the success of WIK will contribute to it during their lifetime and/or will donate as an inherence. In this way they will make themselves immortal leaving their name on a IRS's project of their choice .
- IRS will have endowments to become self-sustainable.
The interested people are invited to participate in this world project giving your comments, suggestions, criticism, in order that we develop and make this a viable project (write to: email@example.com). Please share this idea with others especially with those who are in position to help.
Farhang Sefidvash is a Professor of Nuclear Engineering, Ph.D. from Imperial College of University of London, inventor of a new nuclear reactor concept, and author of more than 95 scientific publications.